Human microbiome, laboratory medicine
1. Understanding the role of human microbiome in metabolic diseases, stroke, and pregnancy
2. Development of novel diagnosis biomarkers through omics techniques
3. Development of diagnosis antibodies for infectious pathogens
1. National Distinguished Young Scholar Award, 2019, by National Science Foundation of China
2. National Talent Project, 2019, by Ministry of Human Resources and Social Affairs of China
3. Pearl River Scholar, 2018, by Department of Education of Guangdong Province
4. National Excellent Young Scholar Award, 2013, by National Science Foundation of China
Cover stories from HW Zhou's lab:
||Volume 24 Issue 10, October 2018
|Defining healthy microbiomes
|The cover art is a conceptual representation of the work by Hong-wei Zhou and colleagues identifying host location as having the strongest association with microbiota variation in a cohort of 7,009 individuals from 14 districts within a single province in China.
|1. Regional variation may have higher impact on gut microbiome than metabolic diseases.
|2. Disease microbiome signatures could be region dependent therefore a new framework for developing microbiome disease models is necessary.
Selected Publications (* Correspondence author):
1. Chen X, Li P, liuM, Zheng HM, He Y, Chen MX, Tang WL, Yue XJ, Huang YX, Zhuang LL, Wang ZJ, Zhong M, Ke GB, Hu HY, Feng YL, Chen Y, Yu YH*, Zhou HW*, Huang LP* (2020) Gut dysbiosis induces the development of preeclampsia through bacterial translocation. Gut 69:513-522 (Cover story)
2 . He Y, Wu W, Zheng HM, Li P, McDonald D, Sheng HF, Chen MX, Chen ZH, Ji GY, Zheng ZDX, Mujagond P, Chen XJ, Rong ZH, Chen P, Lyu LY, Wang X, Wu CB, Yu N, Xu YJ, Yin J, Raes J, Knight R, Ma WJ*, Zhou HW* (2018) Regional variation limits applications of healthy gut microbiome reference ranges and disease models. Nature Medicine 24:1532-1535 (Cover story)
3 . He Y, Wu W, Wu S, Zheng HM, Li P, Sheng HF, Chen MX, Chen ZH, Ji GY, Zheng ZDX, Mujagond P, Chen XJ, Rong ZH, Chen P, Lyu LY, Wang X, Xu JB, Wu CB, Yu N, Xu YJ, Yin J, Raes J, Ma WJ*,Zhou HW* (2018) Linking gut microbiota, metabolic syndrome and economic status based on apopulation-level analysis. Microbiome 6:172
4 . Lin A, Zheng W, He Y, Tang W, Wei X, He R, Huang W, Su Y, Huang Y, Zhou HW*, Xie H* (2018) Gut microbiota in patients with Parkinson’s disease in southern China. Parkinsonism and Related Disorders 53: 82-88
5 . Zhou Y, Xu Z, He Y, Yang Y, Liu L, Lin Q, Nie Y, Li M, Zhi F, Liu S, Amir A, González A, Tripathi A, Chen M, Wu GD, Knight R, Zhou HW*, Chen Y* (2018) Gut Microbiota Offers Universal Biomarkers across Ethnicity in Inflammatory Bowel Disease Diagnosis and Infliximab Response Prediction. mSystems. DOI: 10.1128/mSystems.00188-17
6 . Zhu XX, Yang XJ, Chao YL, Zheng HM, Sheng HF, Liu HY, He Y, Zhou HW*. (2017) The Potential Effect of Oral Microbiota in the Prediction of Mucositis During Radiotherapy for Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. EBioMedicine. 18:23-31.
7 . Yin J, Liao SX, He Y, Wang S, Xia GH, Liu FT, Zhu JJ, You C, Chen Q, Zhou L, Pan SY, Zhou HW* (2015) Dysbiosis of gut microbiota with reduced trimethylamine-N-oxide level in patients with large-artery atherosclerotic stoke or transient ischemic attack. Journal of the American Heart Association 4 (11):e002699
8 . He Y, Caporaso JG, Jiang XT, Sheng HF, Huse SM, Rideout JR, Edgar RC, Kopylova E, Walters WA, Knight R, Zhou HW* (2015) Stability of operational taxonomic units: an important but neglected property for analyzing microbial diversity. Microbiome 3:20
9 . Wang Y, Sheng HF, He Y, Wu JY, Jiang YX, Tam NFY, and Zhou HW* (2012) Comparison of the levels of bacterial diversity in freshwater, intertidal wetland, and marine sediments by using millions of Illumina tags. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 78:8264-8271
10 . Zhou HW*, Li DF, Tam NF, Jiang XT, Qin J, Zhang H, Sheng HF, Liu X, Zou F (2011) BIPES, a Cost-Effective High-Throughput Method for Assessing Microbial Diversity. The ISME Journal 5:741-749
11 . Lu SY, Zhang YL, Gen SN, Li TY, Ye ZM, Zhang DS, Zou F and Zhou HW* (2010) High Diversity of Extended-spectrum Beta-lactamase-producing Bacteria in an Urban River Sediment Habitat. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 76: 5972-5976.